MSO10762 - Paradise Cottage and Wren Cottage, Tivington (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse, now 2 dwellings. Possibly C17, gable ends rebuilt and altered subsequently. Roughcast random rubble, thatched roof, half hipped left, hipped to right and extended and catslide over addition, lateral stack with slate roofed bread oven to left of entrance, stone stack rising on rear elevation. Plan: not clear without internal inspection, probably 3-cell and cross passage extended right. Two storeys, 1:1:3 bays; first floor left 2-light window, 3-light leaded casement with gabled top in bay built out in line with lateral stack, right 3 early C20 leaded iron casements, ground floor left 2-light C19 leaded casement, 3-light right under wooden lintel, slate roofed pentice porch to plank door, casement right and inserted entrance beyond, C20 door, lean-to addtion in end bay. Interior not seen.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265543. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  3-cell Cross passage plan. Stone, Render, roughcast and pebbledash walls. Cats-slide, Hipped roof  The buildings were visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6.  The buildings were surveyed by the National Trust in July 1996.  The building is depicted on the 2020 MasterMap. The north end is labelled Paradise and the southern end Wren Cottage. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM8786 Report: Richardson, I. and Waterhouse, R.E.. 1996. Vernacular Building Survey: Paradise Cottage and Wren Cottage.
- <6>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #41403 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9316 4495 (18m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- Planning applications 6/29/13/106 and 107LB, May 2013 (Application for provision of two parking spaces)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/9/129/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/9/129/2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31259
Record last edited
Oct 12 2021 10:23AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.