MSO10757 - Dwarfs Cottage and Clements Cottage, Tivington (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Cottage. C16-C17, altered C19 and extended C20. Rendered over rubble and cob, double Roman tile roofs, lateral stack to left of entrance with wall extended left. Plan: 2-cell and cross passage, extended in C20 to 3-cell. One and a half storeys, C20 dormer in roof space left of stack, full height gabled porch right, 2-light casement gable end; 2-light casements in outer bays, left one early C19 leaded iron; ground floor left glazed opening, porch set in angle of stack extension, 3-light casement right, square headed opening to porch, octagonal mullioned unglazed window right, chamfered pointed arch doorway with ribbed door. Single storey C20 addtion left with one window. Interior: plank and muntin screen to cross passage survives behind cupboards, chamfered beams with step and mounted stops. Curved projection in corner of right hand room possibly stair turret with pier beside. Formerly known as Clements. (Photograph in NMR).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265538. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  2-cell Cross passage plan. Stone, Render walls. Gabled roof  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The house is depicted on the 2020 MasterMap data, subdivided between east and west. The western end is labelled "Dwarfs Cottage" and the eastern end "Clements Cottage".  The house is shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition with a similar plan form but differing internal partitions. It is not clear whether it was of multiple occupancies at this time. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #41139 ]
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9316 4541 (25m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/4/124
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31254
Record last edited
Feb 5 2021 12:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.