MSO10754 - Stratford Cottage, Stratford, Selworthy (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The cottage is 17th century in date with 19th century alterations. Red sandstone random rubble, rendered upper storey west front with exposed quoins, half hipped thatched roof, large lateral stack north front with moulded 19th century brick cap. The building has a two cell plan, porch addition north front, canted stair bay south front and lean-to addition on the east. Two storeys. (Photograph in NMR).  This is an 18th or 19th century cottage with later additions. The cottage is thatched a built in the vernacular style. The south face of the main building is rendered but not limewashed. The main roof has two A frame trusses. The property also has a selection of outbuildings.  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building is marked on the 2020 MasterMap and labelled "Stratford".  The house is one of two that are collectively labelled "Stratford" on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. The plan form of the property appears to have been partially altered since this time. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SEM7830 Report: National Trust. 1995. Vernacular Building Survey: Stratford, Selworthy.
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <4>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #39024 ]
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9171 4590 (13m by 10m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/4/121
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31251
Record last edited
Feb 5 2021 10:51AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.