MSO10753 - Keeper's Cottage, Stratford, Selworthy (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Lodge to Holnicote House enlarged to 2 dwellings.The property is probably early 19th century in date and enlarged in the late 19th century. The building is red sandstone random rubble, plain clay tiled roof half hipped south-east gable, pyramid roof north-east bay, large stone stack centre of original range on north front. The property has a 2 cell plan and has been enlarged with a parallel range of two cells on the south side.. Listed primarily for group value with Stratford Cottage to east.  Originally a two roomed, two-storey house. The main range has a mixture of coursed cream, purple and dark red sandstone, the roof is of plain red tiles. The roof has A frame trusses, possibly constructed from elm. The propery has lodge windows, some of which are blocked. Electricity and a bathroom were added to the cottage in the mid 20th century.  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  Keepers Cottage is depicted and labelled on 2020 MasterMap data.  The building is one of two that are collectively labelled "Stratford" on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The building is labelled "412" on the Selworthy Tithe Map. This is decribed in the Apportionment as a cottage and garden, owned by Sir Charles Dyke Acland and occupied by James Larkham. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SEM7829 Report: National Trust. 1995. Vernacular Building Survey: Keeper's Cottage, Selworthy.
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <4>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #41137 ]
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7926 Map: 1841. Selworthy Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 412.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9168 4591 (11m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/4/120
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31250
Record last edited
Oct 11 2021 12:30PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.