MSO10746 - Selworthy Cottage, Selworthy (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A cottage, possibly 18th century in date. The property was extensively altered in the mid 19th Century and the porch was added. The property is assumed to be mostly 19th century in date. (Photograph in NMR).  A venacular revivial cottage built by Sir Thomas Acland in 1824-5. The cottage has an L shaped plan with a two storey porch in the angle. The cottage was intended as a gentleman's residence and the curarte lived there in the 1850s.  The cottage has many vernacular features of the area such as a thatched roof and leaded window panes. A rear two storey extension was built in the late 19th century, probably on to of two already extant single storey lean-tos. It lies parellel to the main range. Only the front of the property is thatched, the rear and extension are tiled. The walls are probably rubble stone. They are limewashed and rendered. The roof is constructed from four A frame trusses.The ceilings are reed and plaster. The garden walls are cob on stone walls.  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building probably dates from the 18th Century, but was much modified in the early to mid 19th Century into the picturesque style encountered widely on the Holnicote Estate with ogee-headed and lancet lights, a two-light oriel above the porch, with an ogeeheaded ribbed inner door.  Selworthy Cottage is depicted and labelled on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SEM6872 Report: Richardson, I.. 2001. Holnicote Estate Archaeological Survey: Part 1. P. 13.
- <3> SEM6873 Report: Richardson, I.. 2001. Holnicote Estate Archaeological Survey: Part 2. P. 43-44.
- <4> SEM7839 Report: National Trust. 1994. Vernacular Building Survey: Selworthy Cottage, Selworthy.
- <5> SEM6952 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Selworthy: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 13.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #38373 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9176 4672 (15m by 13m) MasterMap|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/26/113/1
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31243
Record last edited
Oct 12 2021 11:24AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.