MSO10744 - Lower Cottage and Greenbanks, Selworthy (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Pair of semi-detached cottages. 17th-18th century in date, altered in the 19th century. Was probably 2 single cell dwellings originally with an extension at rear. Two storeys. Interior not seen. (Photograph in NMR).  The cottages were rebuilt in 1855-57 using elements of the earlier building.  The cottages were built as a pair and have duplicated rather than symmetrical floor plans. The building has a 19th century scissor-truss roof structure. The cottages have gothic door frames and studded front doors, ogee headed windows with diamond leaded panes and a thatched roof. The rear extensions were built in the 1950's.  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  An asymmetric pair of cottages, thatched with roughcast render over stone rubble and cob. The listing details indicate these are 17th or 18th Century and were altered in the mid 19th Century, but the Trust’s own survey suggests they are a planned pair and were built 1855-57. They have ogee headed casement windows and chamfered semi-circular headed doorways and plank doors.  The buildings are depicted on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SEM6872 Report: Richardson, I.. 2001. Holnicote Estate Archaeological Survey: Part 1. P. 9.
- <3> SEM6873 Report: Richardson, I.. 2001. Holnicote Estate Archaeological Survey: Part 2. P. 20.
- <4> SEM7831 Report: National Trust. 1994. Selworthy Farm Cottage & Greenbanks, Selworthy.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6> SEM6952 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Selworthy: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 13.
- <7>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #38372 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9173 4672 (13m by 11m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/26/111/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/26/111/2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31241
Record last edited
Jan 15 2021 12:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.