MSO10733 - Rose Bower and Number 53, Buddle Hill (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Pair of semi-detached cottages. Probably 18th century in date with alterations made in the 19th century. Roughcast over rubble, half-hipped thatched roof, inserted stack rising from eaves right, central diagonally set brick stack rebuilt on remains of earlier stack, likewise pair of diagonally set brick stacks resting on earlier external stack left gable end. The building is 2 cell and cross passage in plan.r. One and a half storeys.  A pair of worker's cottages built in the vernacular revival style, dated to the early 19th century. The cottages have front porches, thatched roofs and a reflected plan. Both include early 19th century doors and leaded windows. The buildings are rendered, pebble dashed and limewashed with a black tar band. An assessment of the internal roof construction was carried out in 2005. Each cottage has two A frame trusses. At the west hip the original timbers survive although later woodwork has been placed on top to suppor the thatch. The ceilings are red plaster on water reed and are of some importance. The roof structure fits with the early 19th Century dating of the house.  The cottages were visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6.  The buildings are depicted as a semi detached pair on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SEM7823 Report: National Trust. 1995. Vernacular Building Survey: Rose Bower & Number 53, Budleigh Hill.
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <4>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #39021 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9129 4631 (19m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/26/100/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/26/100/2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31229
Record last edited
Jan 15 2021 9:47AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.