MSO10732 - Moorlands, Fernlea and The Cot, Buddle Hill (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Row of cottages. Possibly 17th century in origin, but extensively altered in the mid 19th century. Roughcast over rubble, double Roman tiled roofs at three decreasing heights, half hipped right, overhanging eaves with sprockets, brick stack set in from left gable end, two brick and stone stacks rising at rear.The cottages are either one or two cell with additions at the rear. The cottages are one and a half storeys.  A varied row of cottages dating to the 16th or 17th century. They have porches, tiled roofs and limewashed walls. It is likely that Moorlands and Fernlea were orginally a large cross passage house, divided into two cottages. The Cot is believed to have orïginally been a one up one down cottage which was added in the 17th or 18th century. A fire in 1831 led to renovation and alteration, at this time The Cot was extended with a two storey porch and rear wing. Changes in the wall thickness show that parts of Moorlands and Fernlea were rebuilt following the fire. There is very little of the orginal roof structure of Moorlands remaining, probably due to the fire. Although there is extant wattle and daub at the partitions between the cottages. [2-4] The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The buildings are depicted on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SEM7824 Report: National Trust. 1995. Vernacular Building Survey: Moorlands, Budleigh Hill.
- <3> SEM7825 Report: National Trust. 1995. Vernacular Building Survey: Fernlea, Budleigh Hill.
- <4> SEM7826 Report: National Trust. 1995. Vernacular Building Survey: The Cot, Budleigh Hill.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #41135 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9130 4629 (24m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/26/99/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/26/99/2
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/26/99/3
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31228
Record last edited
Jan 21 2021 12:09PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.