MSO10730 - Barn and adjoining outbuildings at Piles Mill (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (6)
- STABLE (AD 18th Century to Modern - 1700 AD? to 2050 AD)
- LINHAY (AD 19th Century to Modern - 1850 AD? to 2050 AD)
- BANK BARN (AD 19th Century to Modern - 1876 AD? to 2050 AD)
- THRESHING BARN (AD 19th Century to Modern - 1876 AD? to 2050 AD)
- LINHAY (AD 19th Century to Modern - 1876 AD? to 2050 AD)
- PIGSTY (AD 20th Century to Modern - 1900 AD? to 2050 AD)
Barn and outbuildings. Mid C19. Red sandstone random rubble, some cob in detached building, latter with double Roman tiles and decorative ridge tiles also on byre, otherwise slate, overhanging eaves with sprockets. Plan: range of outbuildings running roughly north-south from Piles Millhouse (qv): detached outbuilding linked by C20 gate (not included) to shelter shed abutting bank barn with outbuilding and byre beyond. East front: detached building set into hillside, wall breaks forward at rear, small door; 2-bay linhay with wooden pier on stone pad; bank barn, 2:1:2 bays, centre breaks forward, stable-type door first floor flanked by ventilation slits, ground floor square headed openings in outer bays, segmental headed doorways, centre wooden lintel to opening with hinged flap, double doors at rear; left lower roofed 2-storey structure, much altered with wooden doors right; beyond left single storey byre, single square headed opening, door and unglazed 4-light opening left gable end.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265510. First Listed on 02/01/1986.  5-bay plan. Stone, Random rubble walls. Gabled roof  A range of outbuildings associated with Piles Mill. These include: A single storey, freestanding two cell stable, built of rubble stone with brick jambs and some cob, with a double Roman tile roof. It may date from the 18th or early 19th Century, though it is not shown on the 1841 Selworthy Tithe Map or 1876 Holnicote Estate map (possibly due to its size). It has a cobbled floor. A cart linhay, two cell and two bay and probably dating to the mid 19th Century. It also has a cobbled floor. A bank barn built between 1876 and 1889, which was also used as a threshing barn on its first floor. The roof trusses include carpenter's marks. A single cell shippon, built between 1876 and 1889. It is of rubble sandstone with some lias with a slate roof. A later 3 bay pigsty added to the other buildings between 1889 and 1903.  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. The barn received a BAR score of 4A and the outbuilding 6.  The buildings are depicted as part of the disused Piles Mill complex on 2020 MasterMap data.  They are also shown on 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey mapping. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM7943 Report: Richardson, I & Vile, C. 1993. Vernacular Building Survey: Piles Mill, Selworthy.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #40074 ]
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9059 4655 (24m by 40m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 1076/25/97/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/25/97/2
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31226
Record last edited
Oct 11 2021 12:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.