MSO10728 - Dunkery View, White Post Cottage and Corner Cottage, Brandish Street (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse enlarged to row of cottages. Probably C16-C17 enlarged and altered mid C19. Red sandstone random rubble, rendered north end, roughcast south, double Roman tiled roof, pyramid at right north-east end, brick stacks south gable end, north on rear elevation and above cross gable. T-plan: lying north-east to south-west; canted at north-east end, block added across south-west end. Cross wing on south-east front. One and a half storeys, south-east front: 1:2:1 bays, gable end left 2-light casement, two 2-light dormers, crosswing with oriel on shaped brackets below scallop tiled gable end and pentice, cat slide roof right over porch, unlit first floor right, ground floor left blocked doorway with ogee headed lancet inserted, buttress, 3-light left of pentice porch, ogee headed ribbed door, arched lancet right, 3-light in cross gable end, Tudor arch head porch with inserted half-glazed door, squared headed recesses right with sprockets and 3-light casements, similar to right. Left return of 2 bays, ogee headed 3-light casements on ground floor flanking diagonally boarded double doors, double Roman pentice hood porch. Picturesque group.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265508. First Listed on 02/01/1986.  T-plan. Stone, Random rubble, Render walls. Gabled roof  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  White Post Cottage was subject to a building survey in 1994.  Dunkery View, White Post and Corner Cottage are depicted and labelled on the 2020 MasterMap data as a row of buildings. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM8787 Report: Vile, C. and Richardson, I.. 1994. Vernacular Building Survey: White Post Cottage.
- <6>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #41123 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9071 4668 (21m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/25/95/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/25/95/2
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/25/95/3
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31224
Record last edited
Oct 11 2021 12:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.