MSO10722 - Walnut Tree Cottage, Bossington (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Cottage. C17, altered mid C19. Slobbered red sandstone random rubble exposed on returns, triple ridge tiles, overhanging eaves, large lateral stack to right of entrance with bread oven projection. Plan: probably 2-cell outbuilding adjoining left of entrance. Two storeys, 2 bays; first floor 2-light leaded casements flanking stack, right bay built out in line with stack, unlit to right but lit ground floor with small leaded window, left 3-light leaded iron casement, square leaded entrance, plank door; independently roofed single storey building to left with plank door. Interior not seen, said to contain plank and muntin screen. (Photograph in NMR).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265502. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  2-cell plan. Stone, Colourwashed walls. Gabled roof  The building was mentioned in the 2003 Conservation Area appraisal for Bossington and West Lynch, which states "Standing somewhat isolated is Walnut Tree Cottage of predominantly 17th century origin, but altered mid 19th century, with tall front lateral stack and bread oven projection."  The building was visited in March 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM7908 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2003. Bossington & West Lynch Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p12.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 898 478 (12m by 14m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA137030 (National Trust HER entry: MNA137030)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA139537 (National Trust HER entry: MNA139537)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/22/89
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA137030
- National Trust HER Record: MNA139537
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31218
Record last edited
Jan 5 2021 4:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.