MSO10720 - Sea View and The Old Bake House, Bossington (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse, enlarged to 2 cottages. Probably C17, enlarged mid C19. Red sandstone random rubble, thatched roof half hipped to left, scalloped clay tile cross wing, sprockets, large stack rising from eaves centre with slate roofed bread oven projection. Plan: 3-cell and cross passage, outshut at rear, enlarged to L-plan. One and a half storeys, 3:1 bays; mainly C19 wooden casements, first floor left 2 early C19 leaded iron casements, 2-light right of stack, cambered head to cross wing windows, ground floor left inserted plank door, stone relieving arch, stone lintel to 3-light window left of bread oven, right 2-light, 3-light in cross wing, clay tile lean-to single storey porch with side light and plank door. Right return part rendered, single light depressed ogee head window in wing, 3-light below cement lintel first floor, 2-light ground floor.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265500. First Listed on 12/05/1969.  3-cell Cross passage plan. Stone, Random rubble walls. Half-hipped, Gabled roof  The houses were mentioned in the 2003 Conservation Area appraisal, which advises "Opposite [Lower House] is Sea View and The Old Bake House, a former farmhouse, probably 17th century, but enlarged mid 19th century to form two cottages. The original plan is three cell with cross-passage, enlarged to L-plan. There are many vernacular features, including a large stack rising from the eaves centre with slate-roofed projecting bread oven."  The building was visited in March 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM7908 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2003. Bossington & West Lynch Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p11.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 896 480 (19m by 18m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA139698 (National Trust HER entry: MNA139698)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/3/87/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/3/87/2
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA139698
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31216
Record last edited
Jan 29 2021 4:12PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.