MSO10705 - Myrtle Cottage, Allerford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Semi-detached cottage. Possibly C17, altered late C18 and mid C20. Red sandstone random rubble, steeply pitched triple Roman tiled roof with bell cast, coped verge right, chamfered corner to junction of facade and gable end, large external stepped stack right gable end with slate-roofed bread oven projection in angle. Plan: 2-cell and cross passage, entrance resited at rear. Two storeys, 3 bays; first floor leaded casements flanking pointed arch leaded iron casement, Gothick tracery head, large diamond leaded panes, ground floor 4 C20 2 and 3-light wooden casements, left 2 under brick lintels, right 2 wooden lintels. Centre 2 windows possibly blocked doorway. Entrance at rear. Interior not seen. Abuts The Three Bears (qv) to left. Probably converted to 2 dwellings in C18-C19. (Photograph in NMR).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265485. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  2-cell Cross passage plan. Stone, Render, roughcast and pebbledash walls. Gabled roof  The house was included in the Conservation Area appraisal written in 2004.  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  A structure is visible on the 1841 Selworthy Tithe map at this location.  Myrtle Cottage is shown on the 2020 MasterMap data at the northern end of a row of three buildings. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM7907 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2004. Allerford Conservation Area Character Appraisal.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6> SEM7926 Map: 1841. Selworthy Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <7>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #39043 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 904 470 (13m by 12m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/23/72
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31201
Record last edited
Jan 7 2021 2:54PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.