MSO10702 - Linhay near Hill View and Woodside, Allerford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Linhay, now stables with loft over. Possibly C18, restored late C20. Red sandstone random rubble, partly cob at rear, weatherboarded infill, half hipped thatched roof. Two storeys, 3 bays; circular piers, weatherboarded infill, plank doors second and third bays left, roof swept over eyebrows to central loft door opening. Primarily listed for group value.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265483. First Listed on 02/01/1986.  3-bay plan. Stone, Random rubble walls. Half-hipped, Gabled roof  The linhay was mentioned in the Allerford Conservation Area character appraisal.  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 3A.  A structure is visible on the 1841 Selworthy Tithe map at this location.  The building is depicted and labelled on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM7907 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2004. Allerford Conservation Area Character Appraisal.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6> SEM7926 Map: 1841. Selworthy Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <7>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #46837 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9037 4716 (20m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA138945 (National Trust HER entry: MNA138945)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (3A): 1076/23/69
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA138945
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31198
Record last edited
Jan 7 2021 2:33PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.