MSO10697 - Allerford Post Office (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse, now dwelling and post office. C16-C17, altered early-mid C19. Red sandstone and blue lias random rubble, double Roman tiled roof, half-hipped to left, lateral stack with rebuilt circular chimney end bay left, similar circular chimney added at rear flanking left gable end. T-plan. One and a half storeys, 2-window facade, C19 casements, 2-light dormers rising from below eaves to right of lateral stack, ground floor large segmental headed 4-light ogee-headed casements with rusticated lintel, external wooden shutters with George V post box flanked by lateral stack left and right triple Roman tiled pentice porch with cambered head opening, laterally boarded and studded door, 2-light casement to right. Left gable end: cambered head 2-light casement, ground floor triple Roman tile pentice hood to 3-light depressed ogee-headed casements.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265478. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  T-plan. Stone, Random rubble walls. Gabled roof  The building and post box were visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. The house received a BAR score of 6 and the Post Box 4A.  A structure is visible on the 1841 Selworthy Tithe map at this location.  The building is depicted and labelled "PO" on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM7907 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2004. Allerford Conservation Area Character Appraisal.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6> SEM7926 Map: 1841. Selworthy Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <7>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #39037 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9042 4698 (16m by 13m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA138701 (National Trust HER entry: MNA138701)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 1076/25/64/2
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/25/64/1
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA138701
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31193
Record last edited
Jan 11 2021 3:47PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.