MSO10696 - Allerford House, Allerford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
House. C18, altered and extended mid C19. Roughcast over rubble, quoins, shallow pitch hipped slate roof, brick stacks. Plan: triple pile, main elevation south-west refenestrated C19, south east elevation fronting road. South-east elevation: 3 storeys with attic, 3 bays; 2 dormers in roof space, C20 window right, all openings with flat raised surrounds, first floor 9-pane sash windows flanking semi-circular headed 24-pane stair window, inserted C20 window below on first floor flanked by 12-pane sash windows, ground floor left 12-pane sash windows, centre C20 inserted door, early C18 leaded cruciform window right. Right return gable end 2 storey single bay addition mid C19 12-pane sash windows. Left return entrance front, refenestrated mid-late C19 with single storey porch. Interior not sighted.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265477. First Listed on 02/01/1986.  Stone, Render, roughcast and pebbledash walls. Hipped roof  The 2004 Allerford Conservation Area Appraisal states that Allerford House is the main exception to the lack of sash windows present within the area. It also states that the house actually dates from the 16th or 17th Century, but was enlarged in the 18th Century. The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  A structure is visible on the 1841 Selworthy Tithe map at this location.  The building is depicted and labelled on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM7907 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2004. Allerford Conservation Area Character Appraisal.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6> SEM7926 Map: 1841. Selworthy Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <7>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #39040 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9048 4689 (24m by 20m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA138355 (National Trust HER entry: MNA138355)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/25/63
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA138355
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31192
Record last edited
Jan 11 2021 3:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.