MSO10679 - Doverhay Cottage, Doverhay, Porlock (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Cottage. C17, altered early-mid C20. Rendered over rubble, thatched roof, over hanging eaves, wrought iron brackets, stone stacks gable ends. Plan: probably 2 cell and cross passage extensively altered, with north-east brick porch addition originally connecting Doverhay House (qv) abutting north. East front: 2 storeys, 2 late C18-early C19 leaded iron casements set to right ground floor (masked from road by wall) C20 3-light casement left, canted bay of painted brick porch, thatched roof, C20 door to right. Red sandstone random rubble wall abutting, continuous curve of entrance to Doverhay House, fronting Doverhay Cottage with inserted brick jambs to C20 double gates. Garden front extensively altered, this was probably the service end of Doverhay House in the C19. Listed primarily for its contribution to the local street scene.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265459. First Listed on 02/01/1986.  2-cell Cross passage plan. Stone, Render walls. Gabled roof  Beyond and linked is Doverhay Cottage, again 17th century, and originally two-cell with cross-passage, though much altered, probably in the first half of the 20th century. There is a thatched roof with overhanging eaves supported on iron brackets and a pair of ground floor leaded-light iron casement windows, probably dating from the late 18th century, although these are obscured from the road by an abutting red sandstone wall, which is included within the listing.  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM6959 Report: Fisher, J.. 2002. Porlock: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p18.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6> SEM8052 Report: Pratt, N.. 2013. Porlock Conservation Area: Appraisal Document. 40, 76.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8878 4666 (12m by 18m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/24/46
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31172
Record last edited
Jan 7 2021 3:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.