MSO10670 - Stable Cottage, Lillycombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Cottage. 1912. By Lady Lovelace and C F A Voysey. Roughcast over rubble hipped slate roof, graduated West Somerset slate, overhanging eaves, sprockets, large roughcast stack. Plan: probably 2-cell, mid C20 stables abutting to north (not included), wall links Lillycombe House (qv) to east and is flanked by Lillycombe Bungalow (qv) to west. Arts and Crafts style. One and a half storeys, south front hipped roof, 2-light dormer rising from eaves, ground floor cambered head lintel to 2-light many paned casement left, semi-circular headed many paned window right. Long left return onto stable yard, similar 3-light dormer, two 2-light casements with cambered lintels to left of plank door with similar lintel. Wall: red sandstone random rubble, slate coping; about 2.5 m high linking Stable Cottage to Lillycombe House; semi-circular headed doorway to stableyard to north. Forms part of a good group.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265450. First Listed on 02/01/1986.  2-cell plan. Stone, Render, roughcast and pebbledash walls. Hipped roof  The buildings are not depicted on the 1st or 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [4,5] The house and wall were visited in December 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. The house received a BAR score of 6 and the wall a score of 5A. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8216 4737 (30m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1076/2/37/2
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/2/37/1
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31161
Record last edited
Nov 27 2014 10:17AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.