MSO10664 - Culbone Lodge (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Lodge to Ashley Combe (demolished), now private house. Late C19 enlarged mid C20. Red sandstone random rubble, hipped slate roofs extended as catslide over carriage way on west front, overhanging eaves with brick dentil cornice on east block, large battered roughcast stack projecting into carriageway opening on west side of original dwelling. Plan: square lodge with carriageway adjoining west front extended beyond in C20 roughly L-plan, land falls sharply to south, bridge over sunken roadway on east side. Arts and Crafts style. North front: 2 storeys, 3 bays, left lancet under brick lintel, butt joint to catslide roofed carriageway opening, oriel projecting through sloping eaves above carriageway entrance, 2-light window right in set back wing, ground floor left similar lancet, C20 door in segmental headed opening; large horseshoe arch to carriageway, right bay unlit on north front; gate pier at corner left but other missing. Rear elevation with extra storey because of sloping site. Semi-circular headed archway to bridge with brick voussoirs, small semi-circular arch to stream, rubble voussoirs, parapet swept down with saddleback coping. Forms an attractive composition on the sloping site; part of the Ashley Combe estate.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265444. First Listed on 2 January 1986.  L-plan. Stone, Random rubble walls. Hipped, Cats-slide roof  The building was visited in June 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8416 4819 (10m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/2/31/1
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31155
Record last edited
Dec 23 2020 8:54AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.