MSO10654 - Widlake Farmhouse, Exton (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Farmhouse. C16, walls raised and reroofed, altered C20. Roughcast over cob, asbestos slate roof, large lateral stack rising right of entrance, stone stack left gable end. Possible open hall house ceiled to 3-cell and cross passage. Two storeys, 2:2 bays, full height shallow raking buttress covering the width of a bay end right, all C20 casements irregularly placed, ground floor gable entry, plank door, window to right, gabled porch left of stack, 2 windows to right. Interior partially sighted, chamfered beams with step and runout stops flanking cross-passage with 2 load- bearing walls and lateral joists, stair turret at rear of hall, depressed 4-centred arch door frame first floor, probably cruck truss roof. Farmbuildings adjoining south-west corner not of special interest.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265434. First Listed on 02/01/1986.  3-cell Cross passage plan. Earth, Render, roughcast and pebbledash walls. Cruck, Gabled roof  The building was visited in December 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9252 3454 (24m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/19/21
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31143
Record last edited
Dec 21 2020 11:05AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.