MSO10646 - Simonsbath Bridge (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A road bridge over the River Barle. This is medieval in origin, but has been subsequently extensively rebuilt, especially after the 1952 floods. The structure is made of flat bedded slate, random rubble voussoirs, slate bedded on end to form saddle back coping. It has a three arch span. The west side has three semi-circular headed arches, and cutwaters rising to the spring of the arch, with flat pilasters above. The east side has a pointed arch central opening, which is flanked by two slightly different semi-circular headed arches, cutwaters between with recessed ledge, and the parapet is rebuilt behind. (A photograph is available from the NMR).  The bridge is annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The bridge was first named by the traveller and antiquary John Leland in 1540.  The building was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  John Leland writes in 1543 that "there rennith at this place caullid Simonsbath a ryver betwixt to great morisch hilles in a depe botom, and ther is a bridge of woodde over this water." 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SEM7895 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1889. 1st Edition Extract Map of Simonsbath.
- <3> SEM7997 Monograph: Siraut, M.. Royal Forest, Exmoor: A guide to the Royal Forest of Exmoor. Exmoor National Park Authority. 4.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM8680 Monograph: Lauder, R.A.. 1993. Exmoor travellers. Alan Sutton Publishing Limited. 1st Edition. 2.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7719 3909 (6m by 13m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/11/13
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31132
Record last edited
Jul 10 2019 4:12PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.