MSO10622 - Stiles Farmhouse, Rodhuish (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse. Late C17-early C18, possibly incorporating earlier dwelling at rear. Roughcast over rubble, slate roof, large stone stack rising at rear, brick stacks at gable ends. Plan: 3 cell and cross passage, parallel range at rear linked by covered way. Two storeys, 5 bays; first floor 3-light window left, others cruciform windows, all C17 leaded iron casements some with quadrant stays and second left with decorative catch, ground floor windows under moulded lintels, left altered 3-light mullioned and transomed window, C20 window left of entrance, late C17 3-light casement with quadrant stay right, C19 plank door, slate roofed pentice porch carried on early C19 decorative wooden trellis work. Outshut addition at rear. Parallel range gable end has pigeon holes, bread oven projection and small lancet right. Interior not sighted, could be of interest.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265394. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  3-cell Cross passage plan. Stone, Render, roughcast and pebbledash walls. Gabled roof  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0122 3944 (17m by 23m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/12/111
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31098
Record last edited
May 28 2014 3:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.