MSO10613 - Duddings, Timberscombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse. Probably C17, enlarged early C19. Rendered over rubble, hipped thatch roof, moulded wall plate, roughcast stacks rising from eaves right, at original gable end left, large stepped lateral stack right of entrance. L-plan: 3-cell and cross passage enlarged left with hipped roof addition, right gable end possibly rebuilt, one bay wing at rear. Two storeys, 1:2:1 bays all early C19 leaded iron 4 and 2-light casements, many with quadrant stays, wall to left stack set back slightly, entrance second bay right to left of lateral stack, slate roofed gabled porch, C19 ribbed double doors. One and a half bay return, early C19 4-light casements on each floor, right similar 3-light first floor, C20 door with side lights below, 2-light casement right in wing. C20 slate sundial on stack. Interior not seen. Unusually complete set of early C19 casements.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265383. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  3-cell Cross passage plan. Stone, Render walls. Hipped roof  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building is depicted on 2018 MasterMap data. It is part of the site labelled "Duddings". 
- <1> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #41376 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9591 4269 (30m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/7/100
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31087
Record last edited
Jun 2 2021 9:38AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.