MSO10609 - The Great House, Great House Street, Timberscombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
House. Circa 1740. Roughcast grooved as ashlar, quoin pilaster strip left, flat band string courses raised to sills of windows, moulded cornice, shallow pitch slate roof, roughcast stacks gable ends. Plan: double pile. Three storeys, 5 bays, segmental headed sash windows below lintels, 15-pane second floor others 18-pane; central entrance, segmental headed 12-pane light above raised and field panelled door with inset many paned lights. Hipped single bay, 2-storey addition right, 18-pane sash window, left pyramid roofed 3-bay wing service wing adjoining, C20 fenestration, 3 gabled wings at rear. Interior: partially seen, C18 raised and fielded panelling to ground floor room left of panelled hall, segmental archway, central stairway with urn balusters and some twisted balusters, cut string.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265379. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  Stone, Render walls. Gabled roof  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The main block of the house was built in the late 17th Century, in front of, and attached to an earlier three cell house (possibly a farm house). It provided a secondary residence for the Luttrell Family, who lived primarily at Dunster Castle. The late 17tH Century part of the house has original wooden panelling in all of its principal rooms and a good quality main staircase including a dog gate at the bottom.  The building is depicted on 2018 MasterMap data and labelled "The Great House". 
- <1> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM8713 Report: Barran, M.. 2019. The Great House, Timberscombe: Design, access and heritage statement.
- <6>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #41382 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9568 4217 (29m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/7/96
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31083
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 4:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.