MSO10600 - Winder Cottage, Bratton (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Cottage. Early C17. Rendered over rubble, double Roman tiled roof, stone stack right gable end. Plan: 2-cell, lobby entry. All windows with C17 ovolo moulded mullions, walls raised centre for two 3-light mullioned windows, ground floor eroded 3-light window left, 4-light centre, peaked doorframe right, plank door. Right return, tiny 2-light ovolo moulded stair light. Interior: chamfered lateral beams, scroll stops, winder stairs to left of stack, lobby right, entrance now through later addition at rear, upper storey not sighted. A good example of an early C17 cottage.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265370. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  2-cell plan. Stone walls. Gabled roof  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building is depicted and labelled on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #41356 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9458 4616 (17m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/2/87
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31073
Record last edited
May 21 2021 12:58PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.