MSO10597 - Linhay, barn and farmbuildings at Bratton Court (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
Linhay, barn and farmbuildings. Barn possibly C16, other buildings C19, linhay possibly incorporating part of earlier structure. Red sandstone random rubble, linhay clay tiled, steeply pitched roof with decorative ridge tiles; barn West Somerset slates, half-hipped south end. L-plan: 3-bay linhay lying east-west abutting at right angles 5-bay barn with outbuilding attached at north end. East front: Barn, 6 irregular full height stepped buttresses central double doors with C20 weather boarding above, random rubble infill below, small slit opening to right; abutting right unlit length of single storey outbuilding, brick cornice, slate roof, abutting gable end of outbuilding beyond with double doors, rectangular light and C20 lateral stair. Foldyard elevation: barn full height gabled porch projecting, unglazed opening left. Interior: 5 pairs of jointed cruck trusses, some timbers renewed, porch addition of 2 collar beam trusses; interior largely obscured by agricultural machinery. Linhay of 3 bays, circular rubble piers, end bay right with square headed doorway, abutting solar wing of Bratton Court (qv). Interior: pointed arch opening in east gable end of solar opens with 2 steps down onto first floor of linhay probably indicating the existence of co-eval 2-storey structure at east end of which the rear wall of linhay may be part. (VAG report, unpublished SRO, March 1978).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265367. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  L-plan. Stone, Random rubble walls. Cruck, Collar beam, Half-hipped, Gabled roof  The buildings were visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. The barn and outbuilding received a BAR score of 6 and the linhay a score of 5.  The buildings are shown on the 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #41253 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9462 4630 (28m by 27m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5): 444/2/84/2
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/2/84/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/2/84/3
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31070
Record last edited
May 21 2021 12:46PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.