MSO10583 - New Mill, Luxborough (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
Mill and millhouse, now dwelling. Probably C17 altered C19. Whitewashed rubble, double span roof, asbestos slate on house, corrugated iron on mill, large external stack with C20 rendered cap south gable end. Plan: parallel range set roughly south gable end onto road, north west wing with stable addition, another single storey addition on east front. West front: 2 storeys, 3 bays mainly C19 many paned casements in segmental headed openings, entrance between first and second bays right, pantiled pentice porch, plank door; single bay re-entrant angle of wing left with early C19 3-light leaded iron casement ground floor, single storey hipped slate roof, stable adjoining, 2 doors, one window. Right return 12-pane sash windows left and ground floor right only of external stack; wooden lintel to window in gable end right, double doors with many paned window to right under wooden lintel. Interior not seen. The waterwheel is no longer in situ. Probably on the site of an earlier mill, still in operation in 1889. (Williams, Parish Surverys in Somerset No 2: Luxborough, 1978).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265353. First Listed on 05/06/1985.  Stone, Colourwashed walls. Gabled roof  The buildings were visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9889 3797 (33m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/11/70/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/11/70/2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31056
Record last edited
May 28 2014 1:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.