MSO10566 - Wychanger, Luccombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Part of manor house now semi-detached dwellings. Probably late C16-early C17, altered and refenestrated early and mid C19. Roughcast over random rubble, thatched roof hipped to right, large external roughcast stone stack left gable end, brick stack centre, tall brick stack rising from eaves on right return. Plan: not clear without internal inspection, thought to be 3-4 cell service wing of farmhouse. Gothick style. Two storeys, 3:2 bays, thatch continued as pentice roofs to 2-light ogee headed bay windows, with circular leading carried on shaped brackets, second and fourth bays left, other first floor windows 2-light with divided tracery, ground floor 2 segmental headed recesses flanking entrance filled right with 4-light French windows, divided tracery, left renewed C20 with similar 2-light window, two 2-light windows with divided tracery in end bays right; entrance half-glazed door, gabled rustic wooden porch. Right return first floor 2-light window with divided tracery, C20 window below. Wychanger (qv) abutting to right. Interior not sighted. William Harrison died 1615, with a fine brass in the Church of St Mary the Virgin (qv) owned this property. The history of the Manor is discussed by Chadwick-Healey. (Chadwick-Healey, The History of the Part of West Somerset, 1901).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265336. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  Stone, Render, roughcast and pebbledash walls. Hipped, Gabled roof  The building was surveyed by the National Trust in 1997. It began life as a cross-passage house in the 16th Century, with a south wing added to the south wall of the lower room in the early 17th Century. The hall and the inner room of the house were destroyed in the early 19th Century, possibly by fire (the hall fireplace survived and is incorporated in Wychanger Barton). Possibly at this time, the house was divided into two tenancies.  Wychanger was the former second manorial home, owned by the Worth family from the 17th century. It dates from the 16th century, but was remodelled in the early 19th century. Wychanger and Wychanger Barton are now semi-detached portions of the former manor house with some parts dating from the late 16th–early 17th century, jointed cruck trusses and curved struts. In the former, which is aprt thatched, there is a 16th century studded entrance door and other 17th century doors, but in the early-mid 19th century it was altered to a Gothick style with casement windows, including French windows with divided tracery. An interesting sundial is incised in stone on the south chimney.  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building is depicted on 2020 MasterMap data and labelled "Wychanger". 
- <1> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM7859 Report: National Trust. 1997. Vernacular Building Survey: Wychanger, Luccombe.
- <5> SEM6950 Report: Fisher, J.. 2003. Luccombe Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p13, 15.
- <6> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <7>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #39380 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9111 4428 (14m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/14/53
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31039
Record last edited
May 20 2021 11:46AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.