MSO10553 - North Wheddon Farmhouse, Wheddon Cross (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse. Circa 1840, possibly incorporating an earlier dwelling. Roughcast over rubble, slate roof, overhanging eaves with soffit board to main elevation, brick stacks gable ends and to left of entrance. Plan: 3 cell and cross passage. Two storeys with attic, 3-bays; 2 gabled 2-light casement dormers left, solar panels in roof right, first floor 20-pane sash windows, ground floor 25-pane sash windows, entrance between first and second bays right, double doors with recessed panels, rectangular light above with marginal glazing bars, flat roofed Doric porch, one capital damaged. Single storey C20 addition left not of special interest. Interior not seen.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265323. First Listed on 05/06/1985.  3-cell Cross passage plan. Stone, Render, roughcast and pebbledash walls. Gabled roof  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The Tithe Map for Cutcombe shows a small building at SS 9222 3855, part of North Wheddon Farm (see MEM24673).  By the time the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, the original building had either been extended or had been demolished to make way for a much larger building, which ran east to west and appears to have been subdivided.  The building appears to have been little altered in plan form since the 1st Edition map was surveyed. 
- <1> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SSO95 Map: 1842. Cutcombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9222 3854 (28m by 9m)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/10/40
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31024
Record last edited
May 11 2021 11:29AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.