MSO10540 - Archway and gate to Combe Sydenham (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Archway and gate at entrance, now disused, to Combe Sydenham (qv). Archway: probably C18 altered early C20. Coursed red sandstone rubble. Semi-circular arched opening with squared voussoirs, keystone touching moulded cornice, parapet missing, 3 imported square stone piers with moulded caps and ball finials set above cornice; rusticated jambs, curved abutments with flat coping to gateway swept down to low wall. Raking buttresses on rear elevation (West front). Gate: mid C19. Wrought and cast iron. Dado of spear head uprights, 3 tiers of double scrolls. (Photograph in NMR).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264922. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  Stone, Random rubble, coursed walls.  The structures were visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 4A.  The gateway does not appear to be shown on Stogumber Tithe Map of 1842  but it is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. 
- <1> SSO673 Index: 21/12/1984. Thirty-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Distict of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM7939 Map: Standidge & Co, London. 1842. Stogumber Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0762 3669 (6m by 9m)|
|Civil Parish||STOGUMBER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 375/5/159/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 375/5/159/2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30850
Record last edited
Apr 22 2021 10:55AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.