MSO10537 - Hook Hill Farmhouse, Roadwater (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse. Late C16-early C17, enlarged C18, altered C20. Roughcast over rubble, end 2 bays break forward slightly, thatched roof, rendered stone stacks gable ends and to right of cross passage. Plan: not clear without internal inspection, a very long facade. One and a half storeys, 7 bays; early C20 2-light dormer casements, first floor 2 eyebrow dormers left of entrance, full height canted bay, one window below eaves left, a dormer and another 2 in section that breaks forward, groundfloor 3 windows left of entrance, one to right of canted bay and 2 C20 plate glass windows beyond. A stair turret wih early C19 leaded 2-light iron casement attached on left return. Plank door with flat roofed porch carried on shaped brackets. Interior not viewed. Said to contain chamfered beams with enriched stops and a cruck roof.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264877. First Listed on 21/12/1984.  Stone, Random rubble walls. Gabled roof  The building was visited in December 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO673 Index: 21/12/1984. Thirty-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Distict of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0392 3593 (21m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||OLD CLEEVE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 375/4/119
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30818
Record last edited
Apr 21 2021 9:19AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.