MSO10531 - Hillview, Lower Hayne (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Cottage. Early C17, altered late C20. Rendered over rubble, thatched roof, stone stack left gable end. Plan: originally 2 cell, of which only one room heated, stair turret in South west corner with entrance probably centre of North or South elevations. 2 storeys, 1:2 bays; gabled stair turret left, all C20 2- and 3-light casements, entrance end bay right through pantiled lean-to porch, moulded surround to square headed plank door. Interior: chamfered lintel to fireplace, bread oven in left wall, winder stair in turret to left, chamfered beams with scroll stops, cut beams indicating partition cutting present entrance, collar and principal roof. Unusual to have a stair turret attached to such a small cottage. (VAG Report, unpublished, May 1983).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264871. First Listed on 21/12/1984.  2-cell plan. Stone, Render walls. Gabled roof  The building was visited in June 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO673 Index: 21/12/1984. Thirty-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Distict of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0321 3705 (14m by 11m)|
|Civil Parish||OLD CLEEVE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/Details/Default.aspx?id=264871&mode=quick (Images of England page)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=521759 (Original Monarch entry: 521759)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 375/4/113
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7708
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NW77
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NBR Index Number: 41867
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 521759
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30812
Record last edited
Apr 19 2021 3:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.