MSO10530 - Oatway Cottage, Roadwater (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse with attached outbuilding, now single dwelling. Said to be medieval in origin, remodelled 1700, altered 18th century. Roughcast over rubble, thatched hipped roof, brick stack to left of cross passage, gable ends. Plan possibly open hall, subsequently ceiled, stair turret at rear, extended left with outbuilding. One and a half storeys, 3 gabled dormers, outer 2 with plasterwork crossed palm leaves and initials BWO 1700, left one originally 6-light moulded mullioned casement, now 5-light, others 3-light, groundfloor three 2-light casements with raking buttress between first and second bays, two 2-light mullions left, one steeply chamfered, stepped buttress at junction with outbuilding, small glazed opening with large 20th century picture window and door in end bay; gabled thatched porch with arched opening, moulded ribbed plank inner door. Interior not viewed.  Smoke blackened timbers were noted during a site visit on 31st August 2010.  The listing description was edited in 2011 to reflect inspection of the building's interior.  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4A.  Oatway Cottages dates to the 16th or 17th Century. It is long and thatched, with a stair gable and lateral chimney on the western end. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . 31st List.
- <2> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. G Lawrence, 31 August 2010.
- <3> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 28 February 2013.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM8113 Monograph: Orbach, J. and Pevsner, N.. 2014. The Buildings of England: Somerset - South and West. Yale University Press. 542.
- <6> SEM8821 Report: Harper, B.. 2020. Oatway Cottage, Roadwater: Listed building planning application for removal of internal items and reinstatement of barge boards - Design and heritage statement.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0314 3819 (19m by 23m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||OLD CLEEVE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 375/4/112
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30811
Record last edited
Apr 19 2021 3:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.