MSO10521 - Higher Golsoncott Farmhouse, Golsoncott (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse. Early C17, reroofed and refenestrated mid C19. Rendered over rubble, slate roof, overhanging eaves with sprockets, stone stack set in from left gable end, large rendered external stack on facade to right of entrance. Plan: 3 cell and cross passage, one bay addition left, stair turret at rear, outshut at rear right. 2 storeys, 3 bays; all mid C19 2, 3 and 4-light casements, end bay left unlit, eaves break forward slightly, first floor 2 left of external stack, one right in gabled dormer, groundfloor C20 window inserted end bay left, 4-light casement right, 2-light in projection beside stack, slate roofed pentice continued on right to form porch, arched opening, window right double half glazed doors with C19 figured glass; right return window groundfloor gable end presumably replacing stack, fronted by single storey wooden verandah. Interior few datable features, chamfered beams with step and runout stops to left of cross passage, chamfered lintel to lateral stack, stud and plaster partition on first floor, truncated jointed cruck remaining in another first floor partition. The outbuilding to the rear (qv) is presumed to have been the original farmhouse.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264832. First Listed on 21/12/1984.  3-cell Cross passage plan. Stone, Render, roughcast and pebbledash walls. Cruck, Gabled roof  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO673 Index: 21/12/1984. Thirty-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Distict of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0281 3907 (14m by 23m)|
|Civil Parish||OLD CLEEVE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=521667 (Original Monarch entry: 521667)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 375/4/75
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7826
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7827
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NW73
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NBR Index Number: 41785
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 521667
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30773
Record last edited
May 27 2014 3:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.