MSO10517 - Chidgley Hill Farmhouse (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse. Late C16-early C17, partially rebuilt late C18 - early C19. Red sandstone random rubble, thatched roof hipped on right return, brick stack to left of entrance and left gable end. Plan: 3 cell and cross passage modified, hipped gable end onto road. 2 storeys, 3 bays; 2-light dormer casements, groundfloor 2 C20 windows to left of entrance, 2-light casement right, C20 plank door. Right return 2-light dormer casement, illegibly inscribed plaque below left, groundfloor two 2-light casements. Interior not viewed, said to contain 4 panel compartment ceiling with hollow chamfered beams, one inscribed with date 1583, and chamfered wooden lintel to fireplace with bread oven. The building was divided at one time into 2 cottages and perhaps even into 3. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, July 1979).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264827. First Listed on 21/12/1984.  3-cell Cross passage plan. Stone, Random rubble walls. Hipped, Gabled roof  The building was visited in June 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO673 Index: 21/12/1984. Thirty-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Distict of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0479 3643 (20m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||OLD CLEEVE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=521665 (Original Monarch entry: 521665)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 375/4/70
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7824
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NW71
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NBR Index Number: 41783
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 521665
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30768
Record last edited
Apr 21 2021 11:36AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.