MSO10516 - Chidgley Farmhouse (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse. C17, altered externally early C19 and internally mid C20. Architect of C19 alterations possibly Richard Carver. Roughcast over rubble, double span slate roof, coped verges and kneelers to gabled porch, stone stack left with brick top, roughcast external stepped stack right with brick top. Plan parallel range, 3 cell with central porch and narrower rear range. Tudor style detailing on C17 house. 2 storeys, 2:1:2 bays; all windows under square hood moulds, first floor 8 pane sash windows, groundfloor 16 pane sash windows right, two C20 metal window left, stepped buttresses between bays, central porch with 3-light hollow chamfered mullion first floor, moulded 4-centred arch opening, possibly C17, lancets on returns and C20 half glazed inner door. Mentioned in early C19 survey of Nettlecombe Estate. (Photograph in NMR; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, April 1980).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264826. First Listed on 21/12/1984.  Stone, Render, roughcast and pebbledash walls. Gabled roof  The building was visited in June 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO673 Index: 21/12/1984. Thirty-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Distict of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0483 3641 (21m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||OLD CLEEVE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=539604 (Original Monarch entry: 539604)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 375/4/69
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7836
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NW80
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NBR Index Number: 79226
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 539604
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30767
Record last edited
Apr 21 2021 11:27AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.