MSO10512 - Milestone at Sticklepath (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Milestone. Early C19. Sandstone and cast iron. Round headed stone with attached arched head plaque inscribed: 5 miles to Watchet. Leaning to the South at time of survey, October 1983.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264812. First Listed on 21/12/1984.  The milestone was not found during the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13.  A milestone lies on the edge of the B 3190 at Sticklepath (ST 0460 3615). It is a dressed stone block, 0.7 by 0.4 by 0.15 metres. The road (east) side has a metal plaque with the words "5 MILES To Watchet" engraved on it. The stone appears to have been knocked by traffic and leans to the north.  The stone is depicted on the 1st edition 25 inch map.  The milestone was located during a follow up visit in April 2014. It was noted to be situated at ST 04606 36157 and appeared to have suffered some damage. It was given a score of 4A.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO673 Index: 21/12/1984. Thirty-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Distict of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <4> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890, Somerset 47(16).
- <6> SEM8077 Unpublished document: Bonvoisin, P.. 2014. Survey of Listed Buildings not located during 2012-3 Buildings at Risk Survey.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1185320, Updated 30 May 2022.
|Grid reference||ST 0460 3614 (point)|
|Civil Parish||OLD CLEEVE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 375/4/54
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NW57
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1185320
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30752
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35174
Record last edited
May 30 2022 4:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.