MSO10507 - Woodford Cottages (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Row of cottages. Dated 1852. Red sandstone random rubble, slate roofs, decorative bargeboards, brick stacks. "L"-plan, 4 cottages backing onto road, larger house (No 5) at right angles by drive to Nettlecombe Court. No 5: 2 storeys, 3 bays; full height canted bay right, gabled roof, 2-light many pane casements, single light centre above gabled, slate roofed porch with decorative bargeboards and shaped wooden brackets carved on wooden piers, 6 panel door. Shield in gable end inscribed WCT (Trevelyan) 1852. Right return 3 square gabled oriels fronting road. These were estate cottages, part of the Nettlecombe Estate, the village having been removed at the end of the C18 from its original location beside the Church of St Mary (qv).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264806. First Listed on 11/05/1973.  L-plan. Stone, Random rubble walls. Gabled roof  The buildings were visited in June 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. Numbers 1, 4 and 5 received a BAR score of 5; numbers 2 and 3 received a score of 6.  The inhabitants of the cottages in Old Nettlecombe were rehouses at Woodford Cottages, north of the park, dated 1824, 1852 and 1865, and implying a delay between the landscaping and the provision of new accommodation for the villagers. 
- <1> SSO673 Index: 21/12/1984. Thirty-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Distict of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM8342 Report: Unknown. 2016. Nettlecombe Parkland Plan. 26.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0641 3846 (23m by 32m)|
|Civil Parish||NETTLECOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5): 375/5/48/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5): 375/5/48/4
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5): 375/5/48/5
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 375/5/48/2
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 375/5/48/3
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30746
Record last edited
May 5 2021 12:09PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.