MSO10502 - Nettlecombe Lodge, Nettlecombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Lodge to Nettlecombe Court, now Leonard Wills Field Centre (qv), now private dwelling. Circa 1820, enlarged mid-late C20. Probably by Richard Carver. Rendered over random rubble, slate roofs, overhanging eaves, decorative bargeboards, brick stacks left and right. Original block, single storey, 1:2 bays, recessed bay left, 2-light hollow chamfered mullions with Tudor arch head marginal glazing bars, similar under hood mould on return of projecting main block right, blocked Tudor arch head opening, (perhaps original entrance) C20 wooden 2-light Tudor arch head casement right and canted bay with 4-light hollow chamfered mullions, Tudor arch heads, marginal glazing bars, 2 bay verandah left carried on wooden columns, single bay return, 2-light window right return, entrance now in C20 2-storey 2 bay addition, including garage to right. Interior not viewed. An attractive lodge, sympathetically enlarged. Similar in design to Willett Lodge (qv), Elworthy Parish, also attributed to Richard Carver.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264795. First Listed on 21/12/1984.  Stone, Render walls. Hipped, Gabled roof  The building appears on historic mapping. [4-6] The building was visited in June 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  Richard Carver (c.1792-1862) practiced from Taunton and was County Surveyor. Nettlecombe Lodge is not mentioned in his entry in Colvin. 
- <1> SSO673 Index: 21/12/1984. Thirty-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Distict of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SSO1563 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. 6" sheet 47SE.
- <6> SSO1453 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1976. 1:10,000 ST03NW.
- <7> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <8> SEM8515 Monograph: Colvin, H.. 2008. A bibliographical dictionary of British architects 1600-1840. Yale University Press. 4th edition. pp235-6.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0492 3691 (15m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||NETTLECOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 375/4/37
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12162
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30735
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35110
Record last edited
Apr 21 2021 10:31AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.