MSO10493 - Court Cottage, Woodford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Incorrectly shown on OS map as Woodford Farm. Farmhouse. C16, altered C17, and mid C20. Whitewashed random rubble, thatched roof, stone stack right gable end, large external stack to left of entrance. 3 cell and cross passage, now 2 cell, stair turret at rear, outshut and C20 addition. one and a half storeys, gabled bay to left of external stack breaks forward slightly, three 2-light C20 wooden casements with gabled tops, ground floor two 3-light to left of stack, one to right, small opening in chimney breast now blocked, entrance to right of stack, wooden lintel, depressed arch doorway, ribbed door, decorative hinges. Rear elevation has 2-light steep chamfered mullioned casement lighting stairs. Interior: cross passage, restored C17 plank and muntin screeen, depressed arch rear door, now entrance to bathroom addition, another in outshut. Original kitchen to right, stairs to right of fireplace, chamfered beams with double stops, to left of cross passage open hall formed from 2 groundfloor rooms with upper floor removed exposing jointed cruck construction, inserted galley, solid wooden stairs to rear with blocked moulded stairlight. 3 pairs of jointed cruck trusses. The home of Elizabeth Conibeer and her daughters, whose violent death in 1773 is recorded on the tombstone in the churchyard of the Church of All Saints, Monksilver. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, April 1975).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264785. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  3-cell Cross passage plan. Stone, Colourwashed walls. Cruck, Gabled roof  The building was visited in June 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO673 Index: 21/12/1984. Thirty-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Distict of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0646 3828 (17m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||MONKSILVER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5): 375/5/28
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30725
Record last edited
May 4 2021 5:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.