MSO10490 - Outbuilding south of The Notley Arms, Front Street, Monksilver (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Stables, now outbuilding. Dated 1860. Red sandstone random rubble, quoins, hipped slate roof, brick stack left and on rear elevation. 2 storeys, 5 bays; first floor segmental headed 2-light casements with many panes, groundfloor centre segmental headed carriage way entrance, square headed double doors with ornamental hinges, 3-light casement to right partially renewed, to left inserted double garage doors. Concrete steps to first floor loft entrance on right return. Octagonal plaque centre first floor inscribed: IG.BN 1860. These were the stables to the Notley Arms (qv).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264779. First Listed on 21/12/1984.  Stone, Random rubble walls. Hipped roof  The Tithe Map for Monksilver appears to show the stables as part of an 'L' shaped block, which adjoined a building on the street frontage mostly to the south of the present Notley Arms.  The building was visited in June 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO673 Index: 21/12/1984. Thirty-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Distict of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SSO301 Map: 1841. Monksilver Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0729 3746 (15m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||MONKSILVER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 375/5/22
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30718
Record last edited
May 27 2014 3:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.