MSO10465 - Post-medieval peat cutting east of The Chains (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 7351 4183. Roughly circular peat cutting activity in the area of aerial photographic plots to the east of the Chains Barrow. Approximately 8 metres in diameter and 0.2 metres deep, water filled with eroded and Molinia covered sides.  A large area of peat cutting, of probable post medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs [2,3] as numerous small pits and irregular earthworks immediately south of The Chains Barrow, and covering an area of approximately 11 hectares. The earthworks are centred on SS 734 417 and are of a variety of shapes and sizes, from square pits measuring 8 to 10 metres, to less regularly shaped, curved pits up to 90 metres across. The cuttings are closely associated with a number of 19th Century drainage ditches, believed to be part of the Knight family's improvement attempt during the 19th Century. Due to the vast number of pits visible on aerial photographs, only a representative sample has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until very recently, and may continue in places . Similar areas are visible to the east and west.  A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites. 
- <1> SSO1170 Survey: Faxon, Keith. 1998. Record card from McDonnell, R. Pinkworthy Estate: An Archaeological Survey for Management Purpose. 21/9/1995.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3151-53 (11 April 1947).
- <3> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF CPE/UK/2082 3106-08 (19 May 1947).
- <4> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. P. 47, 143.
- <5>XY SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. [Mapped feature: #38908 ]
- <6> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7344 4176 (515m by 411m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1470637 (Pastscape entry: 1470637)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2167
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW 198
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1470637
- Somerset SMR PRN: 22789
Record last edited
Feb 3 2021 11:38AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.