MSO10443 - Old Forge, Winsford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map for Winsford shows the site as a clear plot.  A Smithy is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps at SS 9053 3487. [2,3] Shown as 'The Old Forge' on recent map and converted to a house.  A former forge is mentioned in a record of 1870 but was converted to a dwelling and lock up shop in the 1930s.  For a short time just before the war, there was a china and gift shop at the Old Forge, the blacksmith having retired in the late 1930s. The building is first mentioned in 1870 in a Conveyance, in possession of the Clatworthy family, with mention of Rt. Hon. Sir Francis Dyke Acland. When in use, it housed two blacksmiths and a wheelwright, with the neighbouring field ("Smithy Field") used to house horses while the carts and traps they pulled were repaired. In the 1930s, the interior was converted to a dwelling with a lock up shop infront and named "Riverside". It was sold to Mrs C Wilton in 1965 and renamed "Old Forge". 
- <1> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 643.
- <2> SSO1489 Map: Ordnance Survey. c.1904. 1:2500 map, second edition.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SSO1583 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2005. Landline Information.
- <5> SEM6960 Report: Fisher, J.. 2005. Winsford: Village Character Appraisal.
- <6> SEM8319 Leaflet: Various. 2004. A Winsford Anthology. 16, 50-51.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9053 3487 (15m by 14m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 19420
Record last edited
Jul 26 2016 11:37AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.