MSO10414 - Possible hillslope enclosure on Codsend Moor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A. At SS 8876 4039 within field system MSO9203 is a probable hillslope enclosure divided into two unequal parts by a modern boundary. Its circuit is intermittent, being lost on the south-west side and part of the east side but the remainder is defined by a stony bank or scarp generally 3 to 5 metres wide (but up to 8 metres wide on the north west) and 0.15 to 0.6 metres high. No trace of original constructional technique remains visible, the perimeter is composed largely of medium and large size local sandstone lumps (c. 0.2 metres diameter and larger) forming a low, shallow profile. There are no internal features visible and a recent drainage gulley runs north-south through part of the interior, damaging the inner face of the north arc. No entrance can be detected. Reconstruction of the whole circuit would produce a flattened, circular enclosure with an internal area of c. 0.1 hectares (or 45 metres diameter). The topography makes it impossible to gain a overview of the feature, a fact which renders it difficult to be entirely sure that it is a monument of the proposed class. [1-3] The enclosure was not confidently discernable on aerial photographs available during the National Mapping Project survey.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO5432 Technical drawing: Pattison, P.. 1988. Codsend Moor Part 3/ink survey . 1:1250. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <2> SMO7318 Unpublished document: Pattison, P. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, F1, 22 October 1987.
- <3> SMO6274 Collection: Pattison, P., Quinnell, N.V., Fletcher, M. and Sainsbury, I.. 1987-1988. RCHME: Exmoor Pilot Survey, SS 84 SE, Somerset.
- <4> SMO7568 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SE. MD002185.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 36181, Extant 16 March 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 8876 4039 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36181 (Original Monarch entry: 36181 (entry A))
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE87
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36181
- Somerset SMR PRN: 19351
Record last edited
Mar 16 2022 9:54AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.