MSO10401 - Peat Cuttings, north of Warren Farm, Exmoor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large area of peat cutting, of probable post medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs as numerous small pits and irregular earthworks to the north of Warren Farm, Exmoor, covering an area of approximately 17 hectares. The earthworks are centred on approximately SS 7965 4121 and are of a variety of shapes and sizes, from square pits measuring 5-6 metres across, to less regularly shaped, curved pits up to 100 metres across. It is not clear whether the peat was extracted for domestic fuel or for turfing enclosure walls, but given the proximity of Warren Farm, which was purpose-built by the Knight family in the 19th century, the latter seems more likely. Due to the vast number of pits visible on aerial photographs, only a representative sample has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until very recently, and may continue in places. Similar areas are visible to (1-3). Shallow rectangular peat cuttings on a ridge to the north and north east of Warren Farm. The cuttings generally measure between 0.15 metres and 0.3 metres deep and up to 15 metres on any side. Condition fairly uneroded. (5) A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites. 
- <1> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage.
- <2> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. P. 232-33.
- <3> SDE60980 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1947. RAF/CPE/UK 1980. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. 3086. 3159-60. 11/04/1947.
- <4> SSO2086 Unassigned: Western Archaeological Trust. 11/03/1983.
- <5> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
- <6> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 796 412 (857m by 394m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475450 (Pastscape entry: 1475450)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2308
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1475450
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18812
Record last edited
Jan 4 2017 9:30AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.