MSO10386 - Bronze Age cairn southwest of White Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A small but well formed stoney mound 3.5 metres in diameter and 0.2 metres in height lies 25 metres to the southeast of MSO11326. Clearance is unlikely and the most probable explanation is that it is a small round cairn. In this respect it should be noted that the bowl barrow MSO9186 at SS 8838 4126 also has a small mound adjacent to it and that it is similar to other mounds identified on Dunkery Hill and elsewhere during this investigation. [1,2] Surveyed by differential GPS to SS 86988 41435.  The cairn could not be confidently identified from the available aerial photographs and was not transcribed. 
- <1> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . NMR AP SS8741/1/1092-3.
- <2> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 March 1987.
- <3> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Riley, H 30 Jan 1997 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 952-3 (29 April 1973).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 86988 41434 (2m by 2m)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35934 (Original Monarch entry: 35934)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO141
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7324
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9182
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35934
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18794
Record last edited
Sep 9 2014 4:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.