MSO10361 - Post-medieval peat cutting at The Warren (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large area of peat cutting, of probable post-medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs as numerous small pits, generally 0.2 to 0.3 metres deep, and irregular earthworks on the western end of The Warren, Exmoor, covering an area of approximately 5.5 hectares. The earthworks are centred on approximately SS 7822 4139 and are of a variety of shapes and sizes, but for the most part consist of rectangular sunken pits, measuring up to 150 metres long and 40 metres wide. Due to the vast number of pits visible on aerial photographs, only a representative sample has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until very recently, and may continue in places. Similar areas are visible to the east and west. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3158-59 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. P. 47, 143.
- <3> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. P. 232-33.
- <4>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #38905 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1475440, Extant 8 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7829 4137 (492m by 236m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475440 (Pastscape entry: 1475440)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2307
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE156
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1475440
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18635
Record last edited
Jun 8 2021 10:06AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.