MSO10317 - War memorial cross at Selworthy (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A war memorial in the form of a simple floriated cross on an octagonal shaft, plinth and two-stepped base. The memorial is of stone and situated by the roadside. The inscription reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN MEMORY OF THE GREAT WAR / 1914 [NAMES] 1918 The memorial commemorates 8 casualties who died in World War One.  The memorial is site on a raised paved platform within a garden by the roadside. There are three steps to the rear of the platform for access. The memorial also records the names of those who died in World War Two. This plaque is sited on the front of the lower step of the base, with the World War One inscription on a plaque on the front of the upper step. The second plaque reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN MEMORY OF THE GREAT WAR / 1939 [NAMES] 1945.  The feature is shown on 2020 MasterMap data and labelled "War Meml". 
- <1> SSO693 Website: Imperial War Museum. United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials. UKNIWM reference 1334.
- <2> SSO800 Article in serial: Barber, E. 05/12/1931. The Counties and Shires of Great Britain, Somerset. Country Life. 616-22.
- <3> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 22 March 2016.
- <4>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #34539 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9194 4681 (6m by 7m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.1334/fromUkniwmSearch/1 (UKNIWM entry: 1334)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18476
Record last edited
Dec 2 2020 4:37PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.