MSO10272 - 19th Century memorial hut at Selworthy Beacon (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Memorial. Erected 1878 by John Barton Arundel Acland of Holnicote, New Zealand, the youngest son of Thomas Dyke Acland (1787-1871). Built of ashlar, it is of rectangular plan with a hipped stone roof and chamfered piers framing recesses with seats set under inscriptions. These include poems extolling the beauties of the countryside by Heber and Keble and an inscription in commemoration of Thomas Dyke Acland, who holds an important place in the history of the Picturesque movement for his improvement of the Selworthy estate, particularly notable being the cottages around Selworthy Green (q.v.).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 435282. First Listed on 19/06/1992.  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4A.  The memorial hut is depicted and labelled on the 2018 MasterMap data at SS 9147 4765. 
- <1> SSO68 Index: 19/6/1992. 6th amendment of 35th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO317 Article in serial: 22/2/1992. New bid to save shelter. Western Morning News.
- <4> SSO688 Article in serial: 22/2/1992. Trust bid to protect…. Western Daily Press.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #41136 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9147 4765 (6m by 5m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 1076/4/10000
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 17524
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35318
Record last edited
Oct 6 2021 3:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.