MSO10254 - Milestone at West Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Milestone. Early C19. Sandstone and cast iron. Slightly cambered head of stone, attached plaque, central semicircular top, inscribed "8 miles to Minehead". The road was cut in the 1820s.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265314. First Listed on 05/06/1985.  'Minehead 8' and 'MS' noted on 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map. [3,4] The milestone was not located during the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. 
- <1> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SSO1587 Map: Ordnance Survey. c.1904. Second Edition.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||SS 9311 3980 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (1A): 444/10/32
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10545
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 17413
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31016
Record last edited
May 28 2014 11:50AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.